Since it was established in 1957 as the first institution under Florida's new junior college system, Gulf Coast State College has maintained a tradition of excellence in instruction and community service while bringing innovation upon innovation to Northwest Florida. Gulf County became part of the college's service district in 1966 and Franklin County was added in 1984, which further expanded the college's vision and mission. Gulf Coast State College Foundation, Inc., has been significant in supporting the college's success and growth since it was organized in 1967. The Gulf Franklin Center was built to address the post-secondary educational needs of the Gulf and Franklin counties. Gulf Franklin opened the doors Fall of 1998.