Are there special admission requirements for the Educator Preparation Program?
EPI is a limited entry program. You must already have a bachelor's degree, in any
area, from a regionally accredited college or university, with at least a 2.5 GPA.
You must also submit to, and pass, a Level 2 background clearance in an approved
Florida school district.
To apply, you will need to do the following:
- Complete the online E.P.I. program application. (You will receive an email from the E.P.I. recruiting officer stating that your
application was received.)
- Attend new student orientation, if you are accepted into the program,
- Apply for general admission to the college. (Fees apply.)
- Send your official transcript from your bachelor's degree to Gulf Coast State College.
- Pass a Level 2 fingerprint/criminal background clearance. (Fees apply.)
- Apply for a “Statement of Status of Eligibility” from the Florida Department of Education
in an approved K‐12 subject area. (Fees apply.)
If you have any questions, please get in touch. Contact information is below.
What classes are required for the EPI Program certification?
- EPI 0001 Classroom Management (3 Credit Hours)
- EPI 0002 Instructional Strategies (3 Credit Hours)
- EPI 0003 Technology in the Classroom (3 Credit Hours)
- EPI 0004 Teaching and the Learning Process (3 Credit Hours)
- EPI 0010 Foundations of Researched Based Practices in Reading (3 Credit Hours)
- EPI 0020 The Teaching Profession (2 Credit Hours)
- EPI 0030 Diversity in the Classroom (2 Credit Hours)
- EPI 0940 Teaching Profession: Field Experience (3 Credit Hours)
- EPI 0945 Diversity: Field Experience (3 Credit Hours)
Program Notes: E.P.I. candidates typically meet one Saturday a month and are required to complete
field experiences, within a K-12 public school, to prepare for careers in teaching.
All classes can be taken in the full-distance option, with no mandatory meetings;
however, students are required to complete mandatory assignments associated with Saturday
classes, whether or not you are in attendance.
|| Credit Hours
|#EPI0001, Classroom Management
|#EPI0002, Instructional Strategies
|#EPI0003, Teaching & Technology
|#EPI0004, The Teaching & Learning Process
|#EPI0010, Foundations of Research-Based Practices in Reading
|#EPI0020, The Teaching Profession
|#+EPI0940, The Teaching Profession/Field Experience
|#EPI0030, Diversity in the Classroom
|#+EPI0945, Diversity in the Classroom/Field Experience
TOTAL DEGREE HOURS
• General Education Core.
+ Prerequisites and/or corequisites required. See course descriptions.
# Applies to A.S. degree and certificate programs.
= PSAV course.
* Minimum grade of "C" required.