ARE you INTERESTED IN A degree in A UNIQUE ENVIRONMENT ?
This program can be the first step in a career ladder that leads to employment in a science that specializes in a department that serves the equipment and instrumentation needs of a hospital, surgery center or other healthcare facility. You can complete the certificate program, then the associates degree and even enroll in the bachelors degree in organizational management right here at GCSC while working full or part time or simply continuing your education. You can then progress to a master’s degree at the college of your choice by following their plan requirements to prepare you for further career advancement.
Your national certification as a Central Sterile Processing Department Technologist (CSPDT) will be recognized in all states.
Would you like to?:
- Work behind the scenes keeping equipment, supplies and instrumentation free of microbial contamination and safe for facility use?
- Become an expert in maintaining quality control and conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes in order to evaluate the quality or performance?
- Become an expert in the use and operation of autoclaves using relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards?
If you answered yes to these questions, a career as a CSPT could be for you.
According to the Department of Labor's Occupational Outlook Handbook, the 2015 median salary of a surgical technologist was $44,330.
- What is the Job Outlook forecast by the Bureau of Labor Statistics?
- Central Sterile Processing Technologist: The need for graduates is rated as “much faster than average with an increase of 14% or higher is expected by 2024” which is approximately 18,100 job openings between 2014 and 2024.
- What is the program’s Placement Rate?
- 100% were hired as an entry level central sterile processing technologist.
- What can I do with this Major?
- Go on to obtain an associate’s degree in surgical services and then a bachelor’s degree in organizational management here at GCSC or in healthcare or business management at other institutions.
- Move into management of a central sterile supply or inventory department.
- You can move into other related areas such as central sterile or inventory management; return to school to become a surgical technologist, surgical first assistant, etc.
- If you would like further information, go to:
- International Association of Healthcare Central Service Material Management: https://iahcsmm.org Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) certification
- The Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD, Inc.) http://www.sterileprocessing.org/technician.htm SPD Technician Certification Exam (CSPDT)