Writing for the Web Cheat Sheet
What is the purpose of the page you are writing?
- What do you want to accomplish?
- What questions will you answer?
Recommended Length of pages
- 300-700 words
- If you have a page that’s thin on content, delete page and move content to another page.
Keep focus tight
- Ideally, create a unique page for each main topic
Do keyword research
- Used to attract the most clicks to your website
- Include the words and phrases on your web pages that users are most likely to type into a search engine
- Keyword search tool
- Perform keyword search for singular and plural versions of a term.
- Use to and best wherever you can.
- Use college wherever you can
- Spell out Gulf Coast State College in all your pages.
- Make a list of Primary Keywords/Phrases
- Compile a list of primary keywords/phrases that you’d like to repeat throughout your pages.
- List should include
- Page-specific phrases (e.g. criminal justice, RN to BSN)
- Gulf Coast phrases (e.g. college, state college)
- Local phrases (e.g. Panama City, Florida)
- See example of key word search on page 13 of the "SEO Writing Training" document.
- Organize your information
- Draw an outline with 8-10 topics
- Organize in order of importance
- Make sure opening sentences and paragraphs contain primary key words.
- Break up large blocks of text including sub headers.
- Combine "broad" phrases and "long tailed" phrases
- Include "broad" keyword phrases (1-3 word phrases). e.g. Criminal Justice
- Include "long tailed" key word phrases. e.g. Criminal Justice Associate Degree
- Spell out acronyms as often as possible.
- Avoid using "Click Here" (e.g. Before: Click here for more information. After: Learn more about financial aid at Gulf Coast State College).
Vary Keyword Repetition
- To vary keywords
- User related keywords (e.g. "accounting" and "accountant"; "graphic design" and "graphic arts")
- Use synonyms (e.g. "campus visits" and "campus tours")
- Use grammatical variations (e.g. "application", "applications", "apply" and "applying")
- Change the order of your phrases (e.g. "associate degree in criminal justice" and "criminal justice associate degree")
- See before and after example starting on page 15 of the "SEO Writing Training" document.