Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Is my information confidential?

    Yes, your information is confidential and cannot be released to anyone without your permission. Please refer to the Student Handbook for further information.

  • Should I schedule an appointment to register for services?
    If at all possible, call and schedule an appointment to meet with us so you are guaranteed to meet with a staff member. All staff members may be busy and not available otherwise.
  • As a new student, when is the best time to register?
    The first few weeks of classes are always a hectic time around Student Accessibility Resources. If possible, it is best to meet with a representative of SAR during the weeks before classes or during your orientation.
  • What should I bring when I register?
    Most importantly, you should bring a copy of your up-to-date documentation.
  • Should I tell about my disability on my college application?
    You are not required to disclose your disability at any time and the college is prohibited by Federal law from asking you about a disability on the application form. If you believe your disability has had a negative impact on your grades and test scores and, as a result, those scores do not truly reflect your ability to do college level work, it might benefit you to explain that to the admission officer or committee. However, this is a personal decision that you should also discuss with knowledgeable advisors such as your parents, school counselor, vocational rehabilitation counselor or someone at the college. Often, once a student has been accepted, the College will give incoming students information regarding the office or offices that provide services for students with disabilities as well as time frames for requesting accommodations. It is, then, up to you to contact the appropriate officials if you feel you will need services.
  • What health professionals does SAR accept documentation from?
    Student Accessibility Resources accepts documentation from licensed physicians, psychologists, and psychiatrists based on disability.
  • Are there any scholarships for students with disabilities?
    Generally, no, there are no federally-funded scholarship or loan problems specifically targeted to students with disabilities. You should contact the Student Financial Aid Office at the college; they are knowledgeable about the various scholarships and loan programs available and often can give you a list which describes the qualifications and application deadlines required for the various loans and scholarships. If you are not a client of Vocational Rehabilitation, you may wish to apply for services from VR to see if you are eligible and could receive support.
  • How do I find out what my rights are in college?
    The college may provide you with this information in the admission packet. Prior to that, you can go online to the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education’s page which provides access to the Federal law and regulations as well as some FAQ’s. You may also contact our Student Accessibility Resources office for information on federal, state, local and campus regulations that you should know.
  • Why is an Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan not accepted documentation for a learning disability?
    An IEP or 504 Plan is insufficient documentation but can be included as a supplement to a comprehensive assessment of tests. SAR is looking for a comprehensive assessment battery and the resulting diagnostic report, which must include a diagnostic interview, assessment of aptitude, measure of academic achievement and information processing.
  • How do I file a grievance?
    Consult the GCSC Student handbook, SAR Student Handbookor the SAR office for assistance.