The Counseling Center provides short-term solution-focused personal and academic counseling, consultation and referral, as well as crisis intervention to enable Gulf Coast State College students to effectively manage stress, experience personal growth, and succeed in fulfilling their academic responsibilities.
Commitment to Learning
The Counseling Center is here to support you through your educational journey. The counseling staff is committed to the following principles:
- Facilitating substantive change in individual learners
- Engaging with you as a full partner in the learning process, where you will be able to make your own choices and take responsibility for your actions
- Creating and offering you as many options for learning as possible
- Encouraging you to participate in collaborative learning activities
- Providing flexibility to respond to your needs
Because of this commitment to learning, the counseling staff will facilitate activities for you and will support you through the individual stages of achieving your academic goals.
Although many people refer to their college years as the most carefree years of their lives, the truth is that the college years can be stressful, especially for non-traditional students, under-prepared students, and those who are working. These factors and others can impede a student's academic progress and undermine their ability to succeed.
If you have experienced setbacks that cause you to question whether or not you should be in postsecondary education, you should contact the Counseling Center. They will provide you with direction and guidance to travel through these confusing times.
You can visit us in the McSpadden Student Union East. We're open Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.