Technology Available to GCSC Employees
- GCSC has created an outdoor Wi-Fi zone in the parking lot behind the Library for students that need access (think drive-up, park, and log-in). Look for the ‘GCSC Student Access’ signs. Select the ‘gulfcoast’ network connection and enter your student login information to use the secure Wi-Fi access point.
- Reminder that your cell phone may allow a hotspot for an Internet connection to your computer or tablet. Check with your cell phone service provider for more information.
- Go to https://wifi.xfinity.com/ for Xfinity hotspots across the country available to anyone who needs them for free – including non-Xfinity Internet subscribers. A map is available on this website to find a free hotspot near you. Once at a hotspot, consumers should select the “xfinitywifi” network name in the list of available hotspots, and then launch a browser. CAUTION: This is an open free hotspot so be careful to keep your device and data secure.
The following items are available in the Office 365 Suite that all college employees and current students have access to at home as well as on a GCSC campus. For instructions on how to install at home, go to https://www.gulfcoast.edu/administration-departments/information-technology-services/staff/how-to/net-office-365-home.html.
For Faculty: Office 365 has been integrated with Canvas. Learn more about it.
Microsoft Word is a word processor that enables a user to create documents like letters, memos, flyers, etc. that can include pictures/graphics or simply using one of the many built-in templates.
Microsoft Excel is a spreadsheet with features for calculations, charts, graphs, and pivot tables; it can easily be organized and sorted (in order numerical, alpha, etc.).
PowerPoint is a computer program that allows you to create and show slides to support a presentation. You can combine text, graphics and multi-media content to create professional presentations.
Microsoft Access is a database management program included with Microsoft Office. Microsoft Access allows the user to setup a database (Table), enter records into the database, organize the data, store the data, retrieve the data or use the data in reports or display.
Microsoft Publisher is a desktop publishing application that emphasizes page layout and design using built-in templates. Many of the layouts can be embedded into email.
Microsoft Outlook is a personal information manager from Microsoft, available as a part of the Microsoft Office suite. Primarily an email application, it also includes a calendar, task manager, contact manager, note taking, journal, and web browsing.
Microsoft Stream is a platform to share video of classes, meetings, presentations and training sessions.
- Flow/Power Automate
Microsoft Flow is a tool to use automation for notifications, alerts, data gathering, and communication.
Microsoft Office 365 Video is a video platform available that enables easy upload, sharing and playback of videos and video messages securely throughout your company.
Microsoft Whiteboard is a freeform, digital canvas where people, content, and ideas come together. You can use Whiteboard for collaborating with your team in multiple locations and team members can use their own devices.
Microsoft SharePoint is a collaborative solution, a powerful platform to build and manage Intranets, Extranets and external websites. You can use it as a secure place to store, organize, share, and access information from any device.
OneNote interface is designed to resemble a tabbed ring binder. The user can take notes and gather materials on pages organized in sections. Notes include text, tables, pictures, drawings and mathematical notations. OneNote can be synced throughout personal devices.
- OneNote Class Notebook
The Class Notebook add-in for OneNote desktop is designed to help teachers be more efficient with their Class Notebooks. It includes page distribution, quick review of student work, and easy access to the Class Notebook app.
- OneNote Staff Notebook
OneNote Staff Notebook, like OneNote Class Notebook, is an app for Office 365 that lets an education staff leader quickly set up a personal workspace for every staff member or teacher, a content library for shared information and a collaboration space for everyone to collaborate—all within one powerful notebook.
Microsoft Teams is a collaboration tool for desktop, mobile and web that centers around chat, video, or voice. It allows GCSC employees to hold video meetings with colleagues and instructors to host video sessions with students.
Microsoft Forms is a simple, lightweight app that lets you easily create surveys, quizzes, and polls. In educational institutions, it can be used to create quizzes, collect feedback from teachers and parents, or plan class and staff activities.
Microsoft Sway is a free app that helps gather, format, and share reports, newsletters, web pages, and presentations on an interactive, web-based canvas that looks great on almost any screen. Sway does all the formatting, themes, fonts, and more with its built-in design engine.
Microsoft Yammer is a unique social networking service designed with enterprise communication in mind. Yammer was created with the sole purpose of helping employees connect and communicate across their organization. Yammer can be thought of as being the Facebook of the corporate world.
Microsoft OneDrive for work and school accounts is online storage space in the cloud that's provided for individual licensed users in our organization. Use it to help protect work files and access them across multiple devices. OneDrive lets you share files and collaborate on documents, and sync files to your computer.
Adobe Creative Cloud
Adobe Creative Cloud is available to all college employees at work and at home. Our license allows for one install on your work desktop and one install on your personal desktop at home. Access is linked to your gulfcoast.edu credentials.
For instructions on how to access go to https://www.gulfcoast.edu/administration-departments/information-technology-services/staff/how-to/net-adobe.html.
- Adobe Creative Cloud
This is a set of applications and services that gives subscribers access to a collection of software used for graphic design, video editing, web development and photography, along with a set of mobile applications and also optional cloud services.
The following software is available to full-time faculty on college-owned workstations. If you would like either of these products on your workstation, please submit a ticket to Technical Support.
Camtasia is an all-in-one screen recorder and video editor for creating video tutorials and other instructional videos.
Snagit is a program that captures screenshots, allows editing and sharing of the capture from your computer screen, and can quickly create visual instructions. Licenses are for Faculty. Contact Arifa Garman to get that information.
The following are software/products that may assist GCSC employee in their jobs. To learn more about these items, please contact Technical Support.
Canvas is our Learning Management System (LMS) by Instructure.
- Canvas support line is available for students and faculty. 24x7x365 available by dialing 913-3303 > option 2.
- Instructure posts System status at https://status.instructure.com/
- A variety of information related to Canvas is located at https://status.instructure.com/
- See the Canvas Course ‘Faculty Online Training’ for additional information
- For ideas, guides, Q&A and other great Canvas information go to https://community.canvaslms.com/
- For Canvas status updates go to https://status.instructure.com/
Respondus is a software designed to create and manage exams, which can be published directly to Canvas. Exams can be created in an easy to use offline environment to maximize efficiency. On the students end, Respondus provides their own browser, which creates an easy to use uninterrupted testing platform.
- For issues with Respondus Lockdown Browser, students and faculty can call GCSC Technical Support Desk at 850-913-3303 option 3.
- Blackboard Collaborate
Blackboard Collaborate is a virtual learning environment geared for enabling communication, collaboration in an online platform for classroom/meetings.
Dynamic forms is a secure interactive electronic form creator that provides workflow. DynamicForms replaces paper forms that have to be sent from desk to desk.
- Canvas Conference
Canvas Conference was upgraded April 2, 2020, to include additional functionality and licenses. This is a web conferencing system designed for online learning. You can create a conference in a course in Canvas to hold virtual office hours and speakers. Conference invitations are sent out when the conference is created. Recommended limit of users per conference is 100. The Canvas Conference add-on is by Big Blue Button (BBB). For more information, please go to the Faculty Resources Course in Canvas.
Honorlock support is available for student and faculty 24x7x365
- Call 1-844-243-2500 for assistance. This number is also visible while in Honorlock when hovering over the Honorlock icon.
- You can also email Honorlock at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Checking Voicemail
- From off campus. Dial 872-3880, enter your four-digit extension number, then your numeric password.
- From your college phone. Use these instructions https://www.gulfcoast.edu/administration-departments/information-technology-services/staff/how-to/net-esna.html.
- Forwarding Your Campus Phone:
- To a local phone number. On your college phone press Forward, enter number 9, xxx-xxxx, forward.
- To a long distance phone number. On your college phone press Forward, enter number 9, 1, xxx-xxx-xxxx, forward. If your college phone will not allow you to forward to a long distance number, please create a technical support ticket that includes your name and the four-digit extension you are trying to forward.
- Conference call originating from your college phone (maximum six participants)
On your GCSC college phone you can conference in up to six participants on a call. On your college phone dial the first phone number you want to conference in and once they are on the line > press the Conf key indicated on your phone then call the next phone number and when they are on the line > press the Conf key indicated on your phone then call the next phone number and when they are on the line > repeat these steps to have up to six lines on the call.
Complete Phone instructions can be found on the following link: https://www.gulfcoast.edu/administration-departments/information-technology-services/staff/telephones/documents/quick-phone-features-for-gcsc.pdf
- Conference calls with FLR Blue Jeans (maximum 100 participants)
Blue Jeans conference call is provided with our Florida Lambda Rail (FLR) Internet provider. This conference call can be phone only or allows the use of video and audio through the computer (with a camera and mic). Submit a Technical Support Request for a Conference Call and ITS will set this up for you.
- Fastest means to contact technical support is to have the Freshservice App downloaded to your phone and use to submit tickets for assistance.
- Log into the myGCSC portal and click GCSC Ticketing System.
- Submit a ticket on the college website. Go to www.gulfcoast.edu > scroll to the bottom of the screen click Information Technology Services > Click Submit a Ticket button.
- Call Technical Support Desk at 850-913-3303.