TYNDALL UPCOMING EVENTS
come visit us at tyndall base exchange 12/9-12/13 to learn more about programs AVAILABLE
Testing event: wednesday 12/11 all day clep/dantes
tuition assistance deadline: 12/20/19
Making the Most of Your Military Education Benefits
At Gulf Coast State College, we want to help you sort through the mire of your military education benefits so you get the education you deserve. Whether you are active military and need help processing your tuition assistance (TA benefits), a new veteran coming back to school on the GI bill, or a military spouse or dependent, Military and Veteran Services is here to help.
Gulf Coast State College is recognized as a top quality, military friendly school
Gulf Coast State College in Panama City, Florida, is recognized by military and veteran organizations as a great place to redeem your education benefits.
- Member of Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC)
- 2016 Military Friendly® School
- Partner school for My Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)
- General Education Mobile (GEM) program school, providing online courses for the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)
- Approved provider of general education classes for the Community College of the Air Force on the Tyndall Air Force Base
Gulf Coast commits its own resources to help you succeed
- Gulf Coast State College allows early registration each term for active duty, veterans and civil service personnel so you get into the classes you need in time to submit your paperwork.
- The College operates Military and Veteran Services offices on both the Panama City, Florida campus and on the Tyndall Air Force Base.
- Gulf Coasts’ Military Resource Centers on the Panama City and Tyndall campuses provide you with a space to study, access to computers and networking opportunities with other military and veteran students.
- Because the Department of Defense prohibits inclusion of fees for tuition assistance, the GCSC Military and Veterans Services works with the Gulf Coast State College Foundation to help find funding that can help offset the cost of your education. Contingent on fund availability, our staff automatically applies fee offset for you. In addition to this support, there are a number of scholarships you can apply for through the Gulf Coast State College Foundation in addition to federal and state military scholarships. Check out our Military Scholarship page for additional information/opportunities.
- Gulf Coast continues to strive for ways to maximizing transfer of Military Credit toward a degree options.
Gulf Coast State College makes it easy to use your GI Bill benefits
Credit for previous academic courses, military training and job experience
Gulf Coast State College follows the American Council on Education recommendations and is a Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) member. As a military or veteran student, you may transfer course credits from other accredited colleges to use toward your degree from Gulf Coast. Learn more about SOC agreements and requirements.
You are also allowed to take CLEP and DANTES (DSST) exams to earn college-level equivalency credits for your experience. You can skip courses such as speech or algebra if you test well in those subject areas. Register now for testing.
No Penalties if Deployed
You will not be penalized for withdrawing from a course because you were deployed. Just show your orders or a letter from your commander when you withdraw.
Degree Completion if Transferred
As a SOC member, Gulf Coast allows you to complete your degree by transferring courses back to the college in the event of a move. You must complete 15 credit hours at Gulf Coast State College to qualify for an SOC agreement. Learn more about SOC agreements and requirements.
In-State Tuition for active duty
The State of Florida has passed laws that grant in-state tuition rates to military students, making the Yellow Ribbon program unnecessary for Florida colleges and universities; this applies to active duty members regardless of their location or home of record. To qualify, active duty member must submit a copy of their orders. In addition, Florida grants free tuition to Purple Heart recipients who were Florida residents or who were deployed from the state of Florida. Dependents and students using VA benefits may also qualify for in state tuition rates; contact admissions for additional information.
Choose Any Program at Gulf Coast State College
You may be able to use your military credit towards a degree or college credit certificate program at Gulf Coast; check out Gulf Coast’s 150+ areas of study. Continuing education courses and audited courses may not qualify. Contact Military and Veteran Services with specific questions.
GCSC’s Military & Veteran Service Center (MVSC)
The MVSC is located in Student Union East and is the main point of contact if you are receiving educational assistance from Veterans Affairs (VA). It is professionally staffed to assist you with VA educational benefit inquiries. If you are receiving benefits from the VA, you must visit this office during registration or whenever a change occurs in your class schedule.
The MVSC provides services to veterans, active duty military, reservists and eligible dependents enrolled at the College. Some of these services include:
- Providing information and guidance for veteran students and dependents about entitlements, filing claims to the VA, and certifying enrollments at the College.
- Advising veterans concerning the Department of Veterans Affairs requirements for maintaining satisfactory course pursuit.
- Reviewing selected courses for consistency with VA regulations and direct relation to the requirements specified for a diploma, certificate or degree.
Providing assistance in resolving problems that may arise in the student’s relations with the college and the VA.
First, apply to Gulf Coast State College. Your next step depends on your military status:
Active duty military
Start early! You’ll need to meet with one of our Military and Veteran Services offices to choose a degree plan, which you must submit to your education center before you can request tuition assistance. We will recommend courses and help you choose a degree plan that will best use your military education benefits.
You must also complete your tuition assistance training and apply for tuition assistance at least two weeks prior to the start of classes or risk being dropped from your classes. Select Active Duty Military to learn more about your process and deadlines for your specific branch of service.
The Checklist for New VA students will help you start using your GI Bill education benefits. You must complete an application with Veterans Affairs (visit the VA.GOV website for additional information) to establish your GI benefits before registering for classes. Veteran students must complete deferment paperwork at Gulf Coast State College each term that you enroll. Stop by a Military and Veteran Services office before registration fees are due to fill out and sign your deferment paperwork. Deadlines for registration fees are available on the Gulf Coast State College academic calendar.
As an active duty military spouse, you are eligible for a grant from MyCAA for $2,000 per year (up to $4,000). Apply to Gulf Coast State College and meet with an academic advisor to set up a program plan or training goal. Additionally, as a military spouse, you may qualify for Veterans Benefits if a portion of benefits was transferred. Follow New Veteran steps for benefits.
Questions? CONTACT US!
Monday-Friday | 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Monday-Friday | 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
850-283-4332 or 850-769-1551 ext. 2910
Photo by Airman 1st Class Cody Miller, 325th Fighter Wing Public Affairs; The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement