Division of Public Safety at Gulf Coast State College
When most of us hear the phrase hometown heroes, we automatically think of first responders – fire fighters, police officers, paramedics, EMTs and other emergency medical services (EMS) personnel. But all of those jobs depend on a public safety system to function well, careers from emergency service managers to fire inspectors and crime scene technicians. All are public heroes in our eyes.
Job Outlook for Public Safety Careers
According a December 2015 report by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, careers in public safety occupations – such as law enforcement and corrections officers, fire fighters and security guards – will pay a slightly higher than median wage, but will have slower than average job growth (4%) between now and 2024. Despite those overall statistics, demand in other public safety careers will spike. EMT and paramedic jobs will grow much faster than average at 24% and demand for crime scene investigators (also called forensic service technicians) will increase 27% by 2024.
degree Programs Available in Public Safety
Gulf Coast’s Public Safety Division teaches classes that lead you to the following degrees.
- Bachelor of Applied Science Degree
- Associate of Arts Degree
- Associate of Science Degree
Public Safety Division courses in the EMS Academy, Fire Academy, Law Enforcement Academy, and Corrections Academy on the North Bay campus and programs on the Panama City campus also lead to certificates, certifications, licenses and an applied technical diploma and college credit certificates.
Areas of Study Specific to Your Needs
Whether you are returning to the workforce and need to recertify or are just starting your career, the Public Safety Division at Florida’s Gulf Coast State College offers classes that will help you get ahead.
- Certificate, Certification, License and Applied Technical Diploma Programs
- Options for the Associate Degrees
- Bachelor’s Degree Program
- Advanced and Continuing Education Courses
Certificate, Certification, License and Applied Technical Diploma Programs
- Emergency Medical Technician - Applied Technical Diploma
- Paramedic – Certificate
- Law Enforcement Academy
- Correctional Officer Academy
- Fire Academy
- Private Security Office Training – Leading to State Licenses
Options for the Associate Degrees
Options for Associate of Science Degree
Options for Associate of Arts Degree
Bachelor’s Degree Program
Advanced and Continuing Education Courses
- Advanced and Specialized Training for Florida Certified Law Enforcement and Corrections Officers
- American Animal Cruelty Investigations School
- Basic and Advanced Civilian Handgun Training
- EMT Refresher Course (Online)
- Florida Animal Control Association Officer Certification
- Florida Animal Control Association Chemical Immobilization Certification
- Former Florida Officer Reinstatement Training
- Maritime Studies Basic Safety Training
- Out of State Officer Transfer Training
- Pet First Aid Training
- Retired Police Officer Training for Requalification
Not sure whether Gulf Coast State College offers the program you’re looking for? Search our programs page to find more than 150 of the areas of study available in Panama City, Florida, and its campuses in Gulf/Franklin, North Bay and at the Tyndall Air Force Base.
Resources for our Students
Career-Specific Training Facilities
Gulf Coast State College students in the Division of Public Safety take courses on the North Bay campus near the Panama City-Bay County airport. The college and Bay County public safety organizations share the top-notch Charles H. Abbott Public Safety Training Center. In addition to Gulf Coast public safety programs, the North Bay campus houses the:
- Florida Department of Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Standards & Training Commission Certified Training Academy 11
- Florida Fire Standards Certified Training Academy
- Emergency Medical Services Training Program
Students train in the Incident Command Center inside the Emergency Operations Center side-by-side with Bay County emergency operations personnel on a daily basis. In addition, students train in the best facilities in the area based on their specialized area of study.
- Firearms Training Range Facility including a 100-7ard rifle range, four 25-yard pistol ranges and a Use-of-Force/Firearms Simulation Lab (Law Enforcement Academy)
- Vehicle Operations and Extractions Range (Law Enforcement Academy, EMT and Paramedic Program students)
- Jail Cell Training Lab (Corrections Academy students)
- Paramedic/EMT Indoor Training Lab
- Evidence Processing Training Lab (EMT, paramedic, and crime scene technician students)
- State Approved Burn Building (Fire Science Academy students)
- Outdoor Drill and Prop field (Fire Science Academy)
Public Safety Program Coordinators
Our staff are ready to answer questions about your program requirements and next steps.
Law Enforcement Academy and Corrections Academy, North Bay Campus
Public Safety Advanced Training and Crossover Programs
Corrections Academy, Gulf/Franklin Campus
Emergency Medical Services
Contact the Division of Public Safety
The Division of Public Safety is housed on the North Bay Campus. Contact the division’s administrative assistant with general questions related to Public Safety. Contact your program coordinator with specific questions about degree or certificate program requirements.
Public Safety Division
Charles Abbott Administrative Building Room # 110
637 Hwy 2300
Panama City, FL 32409
Division of Public Safety Chair
850-769-1551, ext. 5601
Public Safety Administrative Assistant
850-769-1551, ext. 5602